The fair registration process includes using our blank fair forms and completing the online registration process. A website account is required and can be created at any time.
The general process goes like this:
- Decide to do a science fair project
- Choose a topic
- Research the topic
- Decide on a project
- Make sure that the project is allowed (this differs depending upon the division/grade)
- Create a hypothesis for the project
- Create a detailed research plan
- Junior and Senior divisions only: Optional precertification is normally done for animal, human or biological projects. Read the precertification section for details.
- Junior and Senior divisions only: Download blank fair forms. Student fills out most forms before starting the project. If Form 1C is required then it is completed after the project is finished. Get forms signed.
- Start experiment and record your data
- Finish project
- Write abstract
- Create online application. This can actually be done any time prior to this point.
- Complete online by the posted due date (see Fair Dates).
Elementary division: Print MSEF Elementary application and sign it. It is easiest to print this form from the online application. Alternatively, the blank MSEF Elementary application form can be printed and filled in manually.
Junior and Senior divisions only: Upload your PDF files or scanned copy of the printed forms for all ISEF forms needed for your project.
- Print out the MSEF forms including the check-in letter, check-out letter, MSEF Research Plan and MSEF Abstract.
- Project setup for the fair.
Everyone should bring their MSEF forms to the fair.
Elementary division: Should also bring the signed copy of the MSEF Elementary application.
- Note: Elementary division students can fill in their printed forms after they complete their project. Junior and Senior division students must have their forms filled in and signed BEFORE experimentation begins.
You can create one or more online applications using the online registration system so parents, mentors or teachers can create multiple online applications with a single account. You can get an account at any time. You may use the same account from a previous year. Request your password using your email address if you do not remember an old password.
There is no cost to use the website or to compete in the fair.